Chester High School
2020-2021 School Year
Mrs. Welte, email: email@example.com , classroom phone: 803-377-5045, Room D-8
- Grading Scale 6th – 12th Grade
Anything below 60 is an F.
Students are given report cards as an indication of their progress and confirmation of their achievement and are expected to take them home to share with their parents.
- CCSD’s Grading Policy
- All students will be allowed to retake assessments for a higher grade. The students must notify their teacher of their intentions to retake their assessment within 5 school days and reassess within two weeks. Students must have a documented reteach session with their teacher in order to reassess. The final assessment grade will be the average of the two or the original grade.
- The style of final assessments will be at teachers’ discretion to include but not limited to choice boards (containing culminating course assignments) that provides options for students to display their mastery of the content.
- All assignments will carry equal weight. Term weight will be 50 50. Final exams will be calculated in the last quarter of the course.
- Students’ Attendance/Absences
- Students are allowed 6 unlawful absences for a semester class and 3 unlawful absences for a quarter class.
- Excessive Absences
All students who have exceeded the total number of allowed absences will fail due to absences and be assigned an “FA” on their report card and transcript unless the absence(s) have been made up. Students who have exceeded the maximum number of absences will be allowed to participate in Saturday School. Students must pay $20 per day for each course in order to participate in the program.
A student who is in conference with a school counselor or an administrator during class time must provide written proof of the conference to the teacher in order to be excused from that class.
- Tardy Policy for Students
The tardy policy at CHS has been established to ensure minimal interruptions of the educational process. Any student who arrives after the tardy bell should be allowed to enter class with a pass from the Attendance Office.
- Teachers should review the pass to ensure correct name is printed and the time stamped is appropriate.
- Teachers will take the pass from the student. Teachers do NOT allow students to keep the pass in their possession.
***Any amount of time more than 10 minutes, complete a referral in Educator's Handbook for Cutting Class.***
- Student consequences for tardies will be as follows:
1ST tardy to class – Warning
2nd tardy to class – Warning
3rd & 4th tardy to class – After School Detention/Parent Contact
5th & 6th tardy to class – 1 Day ISS
7th tardy or more – OSS
Tardies will be counted by quarter, not individual blocks.
Teachers are expected to adhere to the tardy policy established by CHS administration.
- School-Wide Cell Phone Policy: Students may use their cell phones before and after school, during breaks, and at lunch. Students may NOT use their cell phones during class. Students caught using their phones during class will be written up.
1st offense: Parent/Student Conference
2nd offense: 1 day ISS
3rd & all other offenses: 1 day OSS
- Mrs. Welte’s Cell Phone Jail- If you put your phone in the Phone Jail at the beginning of class and DO NOT touch it, you will receive one point of extra credit for that day and these can be used on assignments at the end of the 9-week grading period. If DO NOT put your phone in the Phone Jail, you WILL NOT receive extra credit. If you are caught using your phone during class, the above consequences will take place.
- Hall passes: A pass will be written by student indicating their destination and the teacher will sign this pass. When the student returns to class, the student will throw away the pass.
- ID Policy: Each student will be provided ONE free ID and ONE lanyard. In the event that you do not have your ID, you will be required to get a temporary ID at the cost of $1.00. If lost, you can purchase a permanent ID for $6.00.
- Makeup Work: The responsibility for arranging for make-up tests and work rests with the student and must be scheduled at the convenience of the teacher. Any work assigned prior to the absence will be due on the original due date. Students will be given the opportunity to make up work during the last week of each month.
- Restricted areas: The pods are for teachers only. Students are not to be allowed in the pod area for any reason. Students are not allowed in the teachers’ lounge or the mail room, including after school hours.
- Student Dress Code
Chester High School students are expected to dress and be groomed in such a way as to not distract or cause disruption in the educational program or orderly operation of the school. Therefore, clothing deemed distracting, revealing, overly suggestive or otherwise disruptive shall not be permitted.
- No gang affiliated attire of any kind.
- No hats, hoods, scarves, or bandanas are allowed in the building. School administrators will not be held liable for confiscated items.
- Proper shoes must be worn at all times. No shower shoes or bedroom slippers.
- Clothing must not be obscene, profane, lewd, vulgar, indecent, or offensive.
- Generally, shorts and skirts should be fingertip length. However, judgment ultimately rests with the administration.
- Pants must be worn at the natural waistline and undergarments are not to be visible. No sagging clothing.
- Sleeveless attire cannot reveal undergarments.
- Tank tops, halter tops, shirts/dresses with spaghetti straps, and see-through garments will not be allowed.
- Shirts [blouses] cannot be too tight, low cut or show cleavage.
- Clothing must cover waist, shoulders and back with no skin showing between the top garment and bottom garment.
- No pajamas of any kind.
- No sunglasses may be worn inside the building.
- No blankets allowed at school.
- Masks must be worn and must adhere to school policy regarding dress.
- Materials: Binder, paper, pencil, earbuds, laptop, charger
- Classroom Rules: Be Prompt (Be in class or logged onto your assignments on time every day). Be Prepared (Bring your materials every day. Complete assignments. Do not wait until the last minute to do assignments). Be Polite (Respect everyone. Respect yourself. Respect rules. Respect other people’s space and belongings). Follow ALL Chester High School and Chester County School District Rules.
- Consequences: 1st offense: Verbal Warning
- 2nd offense: Verbal Warning and stay after class 1 minute
- 3rd & all other offenses: Referral and parent contact
- Expectations for Students:
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO SUCCEED.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO RESPECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS AT ALL TIMES.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BE ON TIME TO CLASS.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO ENTER CLASS QUIETLY AND REMAIN QUIET. IN ORDER TO SUCCEED, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO FOCUS AND PAY ATTENTION. YOUR CLASSMATES MUST BE ABLE TO FOCUS AND PAY ATTENTION. (We're a TEAM.)
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO BE PREPARED FOR CLASS WITH ALL MATERIALS AND ASSIGNMENTS.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE YOUR TABLETS EVERY DAY AND TO HAVE THEM CHARGED.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN SEATED IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE ATTENTION AND FOCUS OF YOU AND YOUR CLASSMATES.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO MAINTAIN AN ORGANIZED CLASS NOTEBOOK.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE ALL ASSIGNMENTS.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO TAKE CARE OF RESTROOM, LOCKER, ETC. DURING LUNCH AND BETWEEN CLASSES.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO KEEP YOUR PHONE PUT AWAY AT ALL TIMES.
- YOU ARE EXPECTED TO USE YOUR TABLET FOR SCHOOL PURPOSES ONLY DURING CLASS TIME.